Tuesday, October 12, 2010

On a more serious note

I promise, there will be a nice fun blog tomorrow, all about my 42day cake and my zombie fort!
But right now, there's something I want to talk about.

Today's serious topic is: Sexuality.
Yes, that's right, that's what I want to talk about, the subject 2nd only to religion, in terms of being most likely to offend. So if this offends you, I apologise, it's only my feelings, they don't have to be yours.

I live my life pretty much in line with the hippocratic oath, the one that everyone knows, First, do no harm. That is all I care about whne it comes to judging other people's lives. If they do no harm to themselves or other people, then I couldn't care less what they do. Whether they love themselves, someone of the same sex, the opposite sex, or anywhere inbetween, love is love, and is a beautiful thing.

What I have a problem with currently, is other people's unwillingness to accept this. I am bisexual, and proudly so, But for some reason, this is seen as being a less valid sexuality than others.
People not understanding it: fine. People being privately unhappy about it: fine. But people choosing to abuse or insult me because of who I love, is just as wrong when I love people of both sexes, than if I just loved one.

Bisexuality seems to be devalued by everybody, not just by heterosexuals, but by homosexuals as well. I've been told that I was:
a) Just slutty
b) Just greedy
c) Still in the closet
and most hurtfully
d) A disgrace to real lesbians.

I have to admit, I get the most upset by this, when gay or lesbian people are hurtful towards me, I even stayed away from Pride for fear of being shouted at like I had been before. Being told to "pick a side" or that I must really only like one sex, and the others are just pretend.

Well, I have had meaningful relationships with women. Not just kissed them for attention. Not just slept with them because I wanted to seem cool. There have been women who I have fallen head over heels in love for, who have broken my heart and who I am still not over.

I have also had meaningful relationships with men. Not just because they're acceptable. Not because I couldn't get a woman. Because I appreciated them as people and I wanted to be with them.

Currently, I am in love with a man. He is fantastic, he makes me smile, he makes me laugh, he frequently makes me smack him upside the head for his awful awful puns, he makes me go weak at the knees. I love him, and I want to be with him. Should this render my past love invalid?

Which sex have I been only pretending to love, because both have made me unbelieveably happy, and both have broken my heart. Which of these isn't real? Because I stand by my past relationships, none of them were perfect, but I'll be damned if any of them were less than 100% real.

I'm writing all this here, becuase I am one of those people who can't have a concise answer as soon as someone insults them or hurts them. I blush and I stammer and I usually just back away. So from now on, if this happens, I intend to hand someone a card with this web-link on it, and hope that this post is answer enough.

This is one I really would love to hear people's opinions on. So, whether I know you or not, contact me about this one.

With love,

From my fingertips to yours.

B. x

1 comment:

  1. Damn right. Enough of this binary sexuality/ you-must-like-either-a-man-or-a-woman-(and-preferably-the-heteronormative-choice) nonsense...

    ReplyDelete