Monday, October 25, 2010

Late and sleepy update.

Yes, this update is VERY late. But in all honesty, I can't imagine that many of you were waiting with baited breath to hear about my life.

Well guess what? You should have been, because it's been awesome. I've been to a Burlesque night, gotten a callback for an interview, and maybe gotten a chance to sing on stage at another show. So, next time, be waiting! :D

Fort Night 1

 So, we built a fort in boyfriend's house. In his sitting room. Using 2 couches on their ends, with a bedsheet over the top, and stretched over the coffee table to add extra length to one side. We had all the cushions off of the couches and 2 duvets for comf* purposes.
After we got the fort set up correctly and everything positioned just right, almost everybody decided they were going out. Leaving myself and boyfriend's housemate, K alone with a pile of zombie movies. 
For those of you who don't know me too well, or jst have a gaping hole in your knowledge, I love zombie movies. Be they Infected or Hell is Full (although I will always have a soft spot for the Hell is Full sort.), Runners or Crawlers, well shot and terrifying, or people with rotten food on their faces just being hilarious. All of these movies make me incredibly happy.
Although I will admit that with some of the newer ones, or with any tense moment, I like to have a big person to hide behind. K as quite a tall man was perfect for this plan. I had rum, a fort with blankets, lots of crisps, Roger (the huge and snuggly shark teddy that boyfriend had given me) and a big man. I was set!

The movie list was: 
  • Day of the Dead
  • Night of the Living Dead
  • Dawn of the Dead (The modern remake)
Yes, we got our George A. Romero movies in the wrong order chronologically, but we watched them in an order which was very important to us: which DVD was closest to our current state of sprawling or cowering.

Day of the dead only vaguely interested me, I didn't get to know any of the characters well enough to care if they lived or died. Most of the military characters were just begging to be bitten through general stupidity or annoying voices (yep, zombie worthy crime where my movie watching is concerned). It's redeeming moment was the huge horde of zombies shambling into the military base, featuring every zombie cliché that ever existed. Including zombie clowns, zombie brides, a zombie ballerina and a semi-naked zombie.

Zombie nudity leads us right to the next movie, Night of the Living Dead. The papa of so much of our modern zombie genre. It was fantastic. Sometimes for the wrong reasons (the first zombie that we encounter is just an old-looking guy who seems to hunch a lot, the make-up is very basic, and it switches from day to night and back again several times.) but so often for all the right ones (we have some very capable main characters who act sensibly, which means I shout at the screen a lot less, we get great farmhouse zombie killin's, and he entirely rocks the "this is a zombie movie, no, it is not gonna end happily.).
That sentence was far too long and rambly, but that IS how I speak, and I was just nearly assasinated by a tiny sugary sweet, so... you can deal.
Back on point, Night of the Living Dead is so great. It lets me say "They're coming for you Barbara" in a very creepy voice. It let K and myself pretend to be Barbara in shock and take 10 minutes to walk the twenty feet to the shop, because we had to stop and hug every pillar and wall because we were frightened. :D
It's just one of my favourite moves now and everyone should watch it with a friend or seven.

Last but not least: Dawn of The Dead. Yes, it's a remake. No, I have not seen the original. I just like this one. It makes me jump. It makes me squeak. It makes my heart speed up, makes me shout at the screen and makes me hide behind big men (Thanks again, K.). This is what I want from a modern zombie movie. It was also funny, had some very decent special effects, and didn't have a trite Hollywood ending. (it very nearly did though, dockside goodbye, I'm looking at you! *shakes fist*).



Altogether, zombie night, and fort oart 1, was a total success. Fort part 2 just wrapped up today, and I shall update about that tomorrow after my brain fully processes it.
Teaser: It features bite marks and bruises, a double bed mattress, LOTS of wine, a world record breaking attempt, and more horror movies.

Talk to you tomorrow lovelies.

With love, from my fingertips to yours.
B.x

No comments:

Post a Comment